Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Veggies Coming In

I love me some good tomatoes.  Since this was our first garden in several years (you can read about it here)  Our First Garden, one thing we knew we wanted were lots of tomatoes and okra.  Well, the tomatoes and squash have been plentiful, but the okra not so well and we've been patiently waiting for it to become plentiful. 

We have canned 12 qts of tomatoes that I will use in soups or sauces this winter.  A friend of mine had a recipe for canning tomatoes in our local paper recently so I gave it a try and I will never can tomatoes any other way.  Here is how I did them:

Wash, peel, & core tomatoes. Pack in quart jars. Do not add water. Be sure juice covers the tomatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon sugar to each jar. Put lids & rings on each jar; put in oven on bottom rack. Remove the top rack. Put in 275 degree oven. Cook 1 hour. (Do not open oven door during process) Either turn off oven & let cool or Remove from oven to cool.


I have already used a jar of the canned tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce and it was so delicious!!!  I have also done a couple of jars of pepper sauce to have to go on turnip greens a little later on.  We have had a sufficient supply of banana peppers out of the garden as well.  They have been so good and we consume several each night for supper!! I wish we could keep them growing and bearing on into the winter! 

Our first crop of Jalapeno peppers were used to make appetizers with a recipe from Pioneer Woman.  (Let me say, if you have never visited this website you are missing out on lots of good recipes and other things.) 
 
 A friend at work brought me blueberries.  I tried for the first time to make Blueberry Jelly.  It did not turn out so well.  Not sure what I did wrong unless it was because I used Splenda instead of sugar.  So now I have 6 Jars of Blueberry syrup.  I guess we will be eating lots of pancakes.  If anyone reads this and has any idea or recipe for sugar free jellies please leave me a comment. 

Until next time.....Have a Blessed Day!



He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful.  Isaiah 30:23

No comments:

Post a Comment